"85% of illnesses are not optimally treated with drugs or surgery." --C. Norman Shealy, M.D., Ph.D

PCC Natural Foods Newsletter: "Nutrition outperforms drug treatments for both prevention and treatment of chronic disease."

"The idea that you create your own reality is sweeping through the minds of millions."

--Spiritual Growth by Sanaya Roman

Friday, January 22, 2010

I miss going out

I still go out pretty frequently, so I don't miss actually going--I miss how it used to be. I could eat and drink anything and feel fine, even healthy. I didn't over-analyze it or feel too guilty. There were lots of restaurants I loved to go to, and it was fun to choose which one I would eat at.

Now, to go out to dinner, we spend a bunch of money on food that isn't healthy--it's loaded with oil and salt and probably plenty of cheese (we are vegetarian and sometimes go for cheese-involved dishes). The portions are big so we always over-eat. The food tastes good but doesn't give you a good feeling after eating it. There is no way to eat vegetarian and avoid the foods I am trying to now cut out: deep-fried food, cheese, bread, and pasta. I know, laughable to even try! When we try to choose where to go, it's just a question of which is the "least bad" for us and still has enough atmosphere to be enjoyable.

On top of that, the food is not organic. The strict standards we have for household food disappear when we go to restaurants, so we will consume genetically-modified food and food sprayed with chemicals. In the case of dairy, we are purchasing cheese from tortured, drug-injected cows--products we would never buy at the store. I used to not bother with that because eating out doesn't happen every day. Yet I still work at a restaurant, I end up eating there or bringing food home a couple of times a week in addition to a once a week or so dinner out together. It does add up.

If there was just a restaurant that actually prepared food like what we eat at home! (That was affordable.) I can't stop going out. I'm a libra! I love to go cozy up in a candle-lit restaurant where I can sit and be waited on. I like sitting next to my husband with no television or laptop nearby where we will just talk. Sometimes I even get fancy and wear something besides my sweatpants!

I don't think it will be long before someone capitalizes on our interest in healthy, organic food at a nice restaurant--for cheap! I can't go to a $30/plate dinner every week. I mean a regular restaurant with a happy hour menu and all of that with something besides french fries on it.

And one last thing: Coffee shops. Can we please get something to eat besides bread and sugar products in the morning? These so-called breakfast foods of scones, chocolate croissants, bagels, and banana breads are nothing more than desserts wrapped in breakfast food vocabulary. I allow myself the coffee indulgence already, do you have to push my discipline by putting that pastry case in front of me every morning??

No comments:

Post a Comment